CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sleep Study

Lily and I spent the night at the hospital last night for her follow-up Sleep Study. I really, really hope we don't have to do that again. It was a very long night.

Lily was a very good girl while having most of the wires attached to her, but she didn't like having the cannula and various monitors attached to her face. I felt awful having to hold her there to have a cannula taped in place. Bad memories! They had to put the no-no's on her arms before we even left the prep room. At first she thought they were fun because she could still clap her hands.

It was almost 9:00 by the time we got back to her room so she could lie down for bedtime, so I was hoping she would be so tired that she would just go right to sleep. Yeah, right. She's too curious for that. She wanted to pull on the wires, roll around, crawl on the bed, stand up, and climb on the bed rails. A queen sized bed with hospital-style bed rails is just not a good idea for a toddler who's used to sleeping in a crib. She couldn't hold Mr. Froggy because of the no-no's on her arms, and having me in the room with her was a distraction she's not used to at bedtime. Plus, it was a lot colder in the room than what Lily is used to. It took her a little over an hour to fall asleep. At home, she would have been out like a light within 5 minutes.

Once she was asleep, the tech came in to turn on all the monitors, which woke her up a little bit - Froggy put her right back to sleep that time. Then, about an hour later, the tech came in again and had to turn on the light to replace one of the wires! Thankfully, Lily was only awake for a few minutes that time... But she woke up off and on all night long, and she cried when the wires kept her from rolling where she wanted to. There was a lot of, "Mommmmyyyyy, Mommy, Mommy" during the night, and I felt so bad knowing what was making her upset but not being able to fix it.

I fell asleep around 2, but I was awake at 5 when Lily started fussing again. The tech finally came in a little after 6 to end the study, and she said that Lily was asking for Daddy during the time when I was asleep. After all the wires were removed, I tried to wash the gunky glue off Lily's face. The tech had said that they are using a different kind of glue stuff now than what they used when Lily had her first study, so this stuff should wash right out of her hair and everything. Last time, I was washing glue out of Lily's hair for days. And I am not exaggerating. Well, I saw right away that it wouldn't be as easy as I'd been told, so I gave up. I put a washcloth on the back of Lily's stroller so she wouldn't get goo all over the headrest, and we left.

To my surprise, she didn't fall asleep on the way home. Probably too busy drinking her milk. When we got home, she woke Daddy up and ate a little bit of breakfast, then took a great 3-hour nap. Mommy too. Then it was bathtime... We got most of the gunk off of her, but I think there's a little left in her hair.

I told Dusty that if we have to repeat this study again, he's going with her, not me. He didn't think that was a very good idea, but I'm telling you, I do NOT want to do it again. Unfortunately, the tech did say that Lily had some central apneas that caused her to de-sat. She came back up on her own, of course. We'll see what the official report says in a couple of weeks. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures this time.

No comments: