CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Jessie Rambling

Sometimes I just feel like blogging about little things going on in my life... So if you're only here for stories about Lily, you'll want to stop reading this post after the next paragraph. :)

I think she said it! Lily was copying everything I said this afternoon, so I said, "I love you!" And she said, "Ah wuvvy..." I think she meant, "I love you, too, Mommy!"

We've had a busy couple of days of cleaning around here, so I was feeling kind of cooped up and tired when Lily said that this afternoon. Perfect timing, and a perfect way to prepare me for a very busy evening of Meal Ministry work. For the first time, our team has been asked to provide food for a funeral reception. It's a lot different from the type of meals we typically provide, so I've had to plan and prepare a little more than usual before seeking volunteers. I am praying that our ministry will be able to bless this family with a nice reception following the funeral.

I paid our electricity bill today. Don't ask me how much it was. You really don't want to know, because if you hear the number you might have a heart attack. But that's not what's significant about my paying the bill. The significance is, we won! After a week-long battle with our REP (utility company), they finally corrected the rate on our account. And when I say battle, I mean it. They were trying to charge us over a penny more per kWh than what we had contracted, and they basically insisted that because their system showed that we locked in on 6/20, that meant that the paperwork I held in my hand, dated the 16th, didn't matter. I faxed them my proof (well actually Natalie did - thanks Nat!), but they denied my dispute. Twice. They clearly were not actually looking at the documents I faxed them. We were seriously gearing up to file a dispute with the Public Utility Commission. But as a last-ditch effort, Dusty called them one more time. After I had been told numerous times that it was not possible to be transferred to someone in Operations who is able to make a decision (and the people in Operations are not able to make outbound calls), Dusty was almost immediately transferred, and the representative actually reviewed the account! Then the call was somehow disconnected, but the representative completed the review and called ME to let me know that the account had been fixed, a credit had been issued, and the problem would not recur. Amazing. I truly believe Dusty was successful simply because he's a man. I was never once rude or discourteous to the representatives I spoke with. I requested the very same things that Dusty did, but with drastically different responses. But it all worked out ok in the end. Well, hopefully. If the rate is wrong on the next bill I'm not even going to try to fix it, I'll just ask Dusty to call them.

My doctor prescribed another medication for my blood pressure. I'm still taking Procardia, but he added Metoprolol. I was taking Metoprolol when I was discharged from the hospital after Lily was born, but it was one of the several drugs they weaned me away from as my blood pressure "normalized." This medicine has to be taken at night because it can slow the heart rate. I've been taking it for about a week, and I have to say, it seems to be working! My blood pressure yesterday was 113/72! If you've ever talked to me much about my blood pressure, you know these numbers are really quite remarkable for me. And I think the slower heart rate might be helping me sleep at night - added bonus!

2 comments:

Chris and Kelly Simmons said...

As much as I enjoy the blogs all about Lily I just wanted to inform you that I quite enjoy reading the blogs about you and Dusty as well! :D

Swan Family said...

You're hired! You can be my rep anytime! Great Job.