CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Froggy Withdrawal

I decided last week that when Lily's canine teeth came in and stopped bothering her, I was going to take Mr. Froggy away. The time had come - She's almost two years old, and she is certainly capable of soothing herself to sleep without a Froggy pacifier (she just didn't know it yet!). She only has the frog for naptime and bedtime, but she's never without him when it's time to go to sleep. If she goes to bed and he's not in her crib, she asks for him by name (it's incredibly cute).

We didn't go through any big production of giving Froggy to a new baby or anything like that. We just put him away in a dresser drawer before Lily's naptime on Sunday. When she went to take a nap, he wasn't in the crib. We countered her requests for Froggy by giving her a favorite blanket and Topper (a stuffed giraffe she's also always had in bed). And then we left the room and listened to her cry for 25 minutes before she finally fell asleep. Bedtime was worse. It wasn't crying, it was screaming. But again, it only lasted about 25 minutes, and she slept all night.
Monday was a little better, with shorter crying spells. Today at naptime, she cried even less and really just talked herself to sleep. But then, she only slept an hour! She woke up crying for Mr. Froggy and Daddy. Poor Mommy comes in at third place today, I guess! Lily is most definitely a Daddy's girl. She absolutely adores him, and looks all over the house for him when he's at work. But when she needs something, it's usually me she calls for, so I was a little surprised...
I couldn't get her to go back to sleep, so we went to play in the playroom. We had just finished reading a story in one of the papasan chairs, and Lily got down. She discovered that she is now tall enough to reach the buttons on the TV, so she proceeded to push them. Before I could even get the words out of my mouth to ask her not to push those buttons, she found the power button. And the DVD player was not turned on, so you know what happened - The fuzzy screen with loud static. And she turned tail and RAN to me as fast as her little legs would go, crying real tears and everything. She was absolutely terrified. I scooped her up and we laughed and laughed when she realized it was just the TV making noise. And I thought to myself, "I knew she still needed me!"

2 comments:

Swan Family said...

Lily will always need her mommy! Don't worry soon she won't be crying for Mr. Froggy anymore! Be strong siesta! Be strong.

Grandma Dixie said...

why don't you try to detach Mr froggy from the pacifier, and give him to her to hold?