CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Prenatal Visit - 20 Weeks

I had my 20-week checkup with the docs today, and everything is looking great so far. Because I'm so wound up about wanting to figure out when this baby is going to be born, we talked again about what will happen if we decide for/against the amniocentesis at 36 weeks. (I'm sure Dr. Holland is getting a little tired of my what-if questions, but I'm ok with that. She doesn't seem to mind.) If we do the amnio and baby's lungs are mature, we would actually go ahead and do my c-section that very same day! The other option is to wait until 37 weeks, when baby will be delivered no matter what. There are benefits and risks to each scenario; it will probably take us awhile to decide which option we prefer. All this is assuming, of course, that the pregnancy is still healthy at that point. If I'm developing mild preeclampsia, that's a totally different situation and we would more than likely go ahead and deliver at 36 weeks.
So far so good - my blood pressure has been great, weight gain is fine, baby is growing and moving and kicking (Dusty felt the baby kick last night for the first time!), I'm not spilling protein, everything is good! Now I will be seeing the doctors every week for awhile because we're at the point in my pregnancy where things were getting a little out of hand in my first pregnancy. Nothing to indicate that's going to happen, but if things start to change the doctors want to know about it right away. So weekly visits for at least a month, and then we may go back to bi-weekly.
Oh, and by the way...
It's a Boy!
Our ultrasound technician was great. She was very efficient, pointing out everything she was measuring and explaining what she was looking for. He weighs about 12 ounces right now, which is perfectly normal. Watching the heart beating was really neat; I don't remember watching such a vivid image of that when we had an ultrasound of Lily. At the end of the ultrasound she said, "And you already know what it is, right?" We were surprised because we did NOT already know - I don't know if she had already shown us a glimpse or if it was noted in the file from a previous ultrasound or what... But of course we told her we didn't know but we wanted to, and she showed us that the baby is very clearly a BOY!
So now we have to come up with a name for this little guy! Maybe we'll have a name picked out before my next ultrasound in four weeks (not likely!). Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Swan Family said...

We're so excited for you guys!

Nick said...

I told Dusty that you guys should go with a strong name like Nicholas...

CONGRATS!

Trish said...

We're completely clueless when it comes to naming this little baby boy of ours, too, so no help from me! Glad we're having boys together, though!!

Chris and Kelly Simmons said...

woohoo!! Congratulations! :) You know. . . Kelly can be a boys name too :P jk jk

Lisa Henley Jones said...

I'm glad to hear things are continuing to go well this time around. Boy names are tough to me, but then, Brian named all three of our kids.