CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Not like soda!?!

Lily is so funny... The things she has been saying and doing lately are just precious! She makes me laugh all the time! And recently, if she's not making me laugh, she's almost making me cry by giving the sweetest little hugs and kisses that you could ever imagine. We are so very blessed to have this little girl light up our lives!

I don't give Lily juice or soda. In the past it was because if she was going to drink something, it needed to have lots of calories to help her gain weight. So she always had fortified milk or high-calorie formula. Then it suddenly got really hot outside, and I thought I had better give her some water so she wouldn't get dehydrated. So I introduced water in a regular sippy cup, only to find out later that she was still aspirating and continues to need thickened liquids. So I found a good straw cup and introduced thickened water (thick liquids won't go through the valves of typical sippy cups). So that was great - she loves water! But I still didn't give her any juice because she really doesn't need the sugar, and it's supposed to be limited to something tiny like 4 oz per day anyway. So I figured, why bother with the thickening nonsense if she can only have that small amount anyway? So we just stuck to milk and water, and that was fine.

Lately she's been eating enough that if we happen to be out somewhere for lunch, I order her a small portion so she can have her own food. Last week, her small portion turned out to be a kid's meal at a fast-food place. I decided to go ahead and get her a little bit of orange Hi-C, since they gave me the cup with her meal. Lily didn't know what to think of it! She would take drinks, but after each swallow, she would crinkle up her face and shake her head like it tasted sour! Quite funny! So I decided that she doesn't really like Hi-C, which is perfectly fine because I never had any intention of giving it to her on a regular basis.

But how about some juice once in awhile, since she's such a big girl now? Well, we picked up some apple juice and let her try it... She doesn't even like that! She took a few drinks, but the sour face returned, and she started letting it spill out of her mouth instead of swallowing it. She really just didn't like it. I'm ok with her not drinking juice. Milk and water are good for her, and she likes them. While juice won't hurt her, she definitely doesn't need it.

So I had let the idea of introducing different drinks go to the back of my mind, but today when we were leaving Chick-fil-A, I was holding this giant Lily on one hip, the way-too-big-for-a-one-year-old diaper bag on the opposite shoulder, shaking my keys around so I could get to the button to unlock the car door, and carrying my Coke in the hand that was also holding Lily. Lily thought it would be a good idea to take a drink of Mommy's soda, and I just wasn't in any position to stop her as I walked across the parking lot, admidst the cars in line for the drive-thru. So she took a big swig, made an awful face, and spit it out all over her shirt and my arm. Absolutely hilarious! I'm sure she didn't think it was funny, but the look on her face was priceless.

But then I got to thinking about this... Like I said, I'm ok with her not liking juice. No big deal. But how can she not like soda!?! That is just weird!!! Well, maybe it only seems weird if you're completely addicted to it like I am. Normal people might think it's great that a little girl only wants milk or water. But still! Not like soda? Really? Maybe it's just because she wanted Diet Pepsi instead of Coke. Alas, most places around here only have Coke products. What a shame!

But if you need a Pepsi fix, you can stop into the little Starbucks inside Barnes & Noble (or maybe any Starbucks, I wouldn't know, I don't drink coffee - only soda). Think of me as you enjoy your regular fountain Pepsi with no ice. Bliss!

No comments: