CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Post About Mommy

Yesterday was my due date. If Lily had been born full-term, she would now be a year old. Weird... I still don't think it feels like it's been a year, and it's actually been almost 16 months! I suppose we all feel like time has flown at different points in our lives, but I don't think it ever went this fast before I had a baby. And yet, when I look at the pictures from when Lily was tiny, it feels like that was ages and ages ago.

I had better hurry up and get up-to-date with Lily's scrapbook before it really has been ages and ages, and I can't remember what was going on in all of these pictures! Digital scrapbooking is so much fun... I am not very crafty, or even creative, so I love all the templates and backgrounds available in the program I use. I will try to figure out how to share the scrapbook with you all once I've finished it.

I've been finding more time to read in the past couple of months. A couple of fun novels, along with a couple of classics. If you're looking for an interesting, fun book, I recommend James Patterson's When the Wind Blows. I really enjoyed re-reading Anne of Green Gables with my book club friends; I don't think I had picked that one up since junior high when I read all three of the "Anne" books by L.M. Montgomery. I also read Jane Eyre. Some people simply love that book, but it definitely wasn't one of my favorites. I didn't enjoy it at all at the beginning, but I was determined to finish just because I wanted to see why it is such a beloved classic. I'm not sure I ever figured it out, but I'll admit the story got better about halfway through. And I've been reading the Bible more regularly lately. I think I'm going to look for an NIV Study Bible; it would be nice to have a little more background when I'm reading. I love my straight NIV because I like to think about the verses on my own, but sometimes I want to learn more about what was going on in the story (without reading the entire Bible cover to cover).
And the biggest thing I've been up to lately... I don't think I ever blogged about the Meal Ministry! A couple of months ago, I volunteered to coordinate our church's Food Team (aka Meal Team, Meal Ministry, Food Team Ministry, etc... I think I need to pick a name and stick with it!). With some help and encouragement from Becky, Dusty, Katie, and Donna, I got started. And now, this ministry has taken on a life of its own! It has truly been amazing to watch it grow. We have tons of volunteers, and all of these ladies have been so sweet to talk to and work with. And the best part of all is that we're really impacting people's lives... It seems like such a simple thing to take a meal over to someone who's going through something tough; but it's HUGE! People have been very grateful for the support we've provided, and as an added bonus, they're enjoying meeting other church members.
The Meal Ministry is keeping me busy. Sometimes I don't have any meals to set up; other times there are three families who need meals when I'm calling volunteers. There are housekeeping things to take care of as far as communication goes, and I try to follow up with the families after they've received meals. And my newest task - the Food Team Pot-Luck! I'm planning a get-together for the Food Team volunteers, so we can all meet each other and celebrate our new ministry. Luckily, this is going to be a simple, casual event, so I think I can handle it (with the help of some awesome friends, of course - there's no way I could do it by myself!). This ministry has been such a blessing to my life. I am meeting some wonderful people, and I know that's why I was chosen to do this. I still have some serious home-body, hermit-like tendencies, but hey - I'm a work in progress.

No comments: